Thursday, September 29, 2011

It's Never Too Late

There's a quote that says, "It's never to late, in fiction or in life, to revise." I like my son's version better: "It's never too late, that's what erasers are for!"
Here are all the letters I made for my Red Letter Alphabet. Some were just too orange, some too pale, some just looked bad and some just didn't fit. 

But take a look at the second row from the top. My original "G" is up there next to the "F".  At first I thought the two letters were too similar in fabric color and scale. But the "G" I sewed into that row looks too small and wimpy, so I will replace it with the one I made in the first place.  

And that "B" might be too wide, and the "O" and "R" are made from the same fabric, the "F" might need to be thinner, and I think there's too much space between the "Q" and the "R." And though I'd been trying to avoid it, I think the "D" (next to all the other letters) is too narrow. I might have to make a bigger one.

You can see why it's easier to make the letters BIGGER to start with. Cutting them down is easy. Making them bigger isn't always as simple.


6 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I see the beginnings of another misfits and orphans quilt . . .

Kim said...

well you certainly are hard on yourself.....I like the look of irregular sized letters :0)
I want to do the one in Tonya's book called the "noel" quilt because it has no "l" and well because that is my daughter's name...you've done a great job with the tutorial!

Happy Sewing

Susanne (flicKwerk) said...

That's the point where I'm usually running out of patience! And that's the point why your quilts are perfect, you're working hard at them!

sawyouhij said...

I think u will satisfied in the end, u just playing at the right track,i did samples chose the wrong materials,different sizes and not happy at all. I made 2A,s one s and one z
But i am following u ,so thanks 4 your hard working in tutes.

Clare said...

I think you're being too hard on yourself.

Although I agree about the G's, I think the B is fine. How about putting a bigger gap between the two rows and then seeing if the B equalises up with the other letters in that row.

Also it matches up with the S.

Jean said...

I guess I sort of like the oddness of the occasional letter that doesn't quite match the others.Good thing, since mine are like that! lol