Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Wrecked, X-hausted and Zonked

I'm wiped out. Really.

I'm the Alpha Geek for a "small" ($11M/yr) privately held manufacturing company. For 12 years I managed it all - half a dozen servers, the email, the antivirus, the anti-spam, the accounting software, the dozen printers, the manufacturing software, the barcode printers, the dozen laptops, the cell phones, smart phones and the 35-40 workstations, and all the security, passwords and everything else thrown in.

The job was way too big for one person to manage 24/7/365. I was worried I was going to have a stroke. About a year ago, the company contracted a consulting firm to manage the hardware remotely. I relaxed a bit, but we made plans, big plans to update the entire computer network.

That work started the middle of June.

For the techno savvy, we're replacing our aging servers with virtual servers and using virtual storage; upgrading our Accounting, Manufacturing and Email software. By the time phase one is complete at the end of September, every one of our servers will have been replaced, and every single user will have been affected - getting new software, new versions of existing software, and sometimes new computers. Phase two means a new telephone system, which means we'll re-cable the entire building.

Every single piece of it depends on something I know, or knew, and I'm the go-to person with all the answers. In June, my back revolted, and I discovered the arthritis in my spine. Washing dishes is painful. Vacuuming is painful. Getting something out of the refrigerator is painful. Even standing at my sewing table hurts.

My son calls me the Energizer Bunny, but this bunny has run out of gas. I'm exhausted. I didn't plan to start a quilt-along when I decided to make 26 red letters. At first I thought I could do it, and wrote the how to posts five at a time, over the weekend. This past Sunday, after a lovely dinner with my Mom and her husband, I looked at the clock and realized it was 8:30 PM. Not enough time to write about Q, R, S, T and U. So I winged it.

I failed, and yesterday's post about Q wasn't as clear as I wanted it to be.

Ladies, (and Steven) I hate to let you down, but I need a break. The rest of the alphabet will come, I promise. (I've got mine all made) There's a lot I want to share, and I'm having a grand time watching you all make your versions of the letters, but I just need to stop and regain some strength. I've got a vacation coming up in September, and I'll be attending a friend's wedding, so I do have rather a lot going on at the home front, but I just have to slow down or I won't make it.

Don't worry, I'm not going to go into exile. I'll just be resting and reading (totally hooked on the Inspector Gamache series from Louise Penny) and watching some tennis and Project Runway. I'll be finishing up the Black Rules quilt, and I'll let you know when that's finished. (I need titles for those two quilts, the Black and White Rules quilts.. Suggestions are welcome, and you know me, can't be anything cutesy like "Salt and Pepper".) Make your letters, and ask as many questions as you like. Your questions are terrific. They make me think, and find better ways of doing what it is I love to do. I'll answer, somehow, I promise!

But for now, I need to be more like Millie, and "chillax."

13 comments:

Marina Louw said...

I am amazed that you managed to do everything you did and totally agree that you need a break. Please take care and enjoy the break.Hugs to you and Millie

earthmotherwithin said...

Have a lovely break -you deserve it!

Clare said...

Our health is the most important thing we've got so take it easy and rest. A Lot!

Judy in Michigan said...

We understand - I've let my letters go last week but no one really minded and still you plugged along juggling all those jobs to keep us going. Please, don't feel bad - take care of yourself - remember, quilting is fun! Enjoy the time off. We have a great head start! Thanks for everything.

Quilter Kathy said...

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to you. I had back pain about 15 years ago and it was brutal. I do hope you can rest it and have the time to let it heal. DOn't worry about the quilt along...we all have hundreds of other projects to keep us busy until you feel better!

Quiltdivajulie said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

Quilting is supposed to be FUN - not PAINFUL or HARD or STRESSFUL - so I'm very glad you're taking a break to take care of yourself.

I know Millie will take good care of you while you chill . . .

Em said...

I second Julie's comment above....I have been there and understand when burnout hits. Always love what you are doing with text and the W is WonderFULL!!! Take care of yourself, Em

Susanne (flicKwerk) said...

Take care of your health! The letters can wait. Relax, do what you feel is good for you. Like Julie said, quilting is supposed to be fun, not stress or pain.

Michelle said...

Just reading your job description made my head spin! Take care of yourself, and if we get impatient, we're all supposed to have the book, right?

Derby, Ducky said...

HUGS and purrs to you. Ya' gotta take a break, go chillax with Mille!

Jean said...

Take a break...we'll be here when you get back.

Tonya Ricucci said...

ow ow ow. definitely time for a break! relax and take care of yourself.

Steven said...

We all hit a wall now and again and this is yours. I truly understand the work issues, though I've never been so in charge like you have. I have been through two new computer labs and software and will be tackling my third next week just in time for school to start so some long days but not as many as you.

I'm copying and saving the letter tutorials. I just can't get going on them yet. Tiling our sons shower and soon back to work. Enjoy your wedding, your vacation, your tennis, your quilting and especially Millie. No hurry on the last few letters.

Sit down and put your feet up and give a few scritches to Millie for me.