Monday, August 1, 2011

Q is for QUILT!

The way I make the letter Q has undergone a big transformation since I started sewing letters.Tonya's original instructions for making the Q included a small X in one corner! It was very finicky to make a Q that finished 3-1/2" tall!

Here are a few examples of the "old school" Q.
Here's another one!
In her book, Tonya greatly simplified the Q. It didn't sing for me, so I tried inserting a slash through one side.
I liked that way it looked. This white Q is about 2-1/2" tall.
I've been wrestling with how to explain how to make this Q...
I started with these components, but I think the easiest way is to make an oversized backwards L, and insert the slash through the upright and then complete the Q by adding the other two sides.

I would have made a new one to show you, but my parents came to dinner and um, I got sidetracked.
I goofed in this photo (above.) In order to complete the Q, and add the strip across the top, I had to do a bit of unsewing. I promise to show better how-to pictures soon.

UPDATE!!! Clare was right! I wrote about creating the Q in an earlier post. Check it out HERE! It's clear and easy to figure out! Thanks Clare!

3 comments:

Clare said...

Your original tutorial way back when is good. Like a backwards C. I've made one your way - the Q in Square for my Liberated Round Robin quilt. It took 2 goes, but it's a lot easier that Ton's way.

Quilter Kathy said...

I finally had to give in over the weekend and join in your letter quilt along! I have sewn up to letter 'E' ...'Q' looks very challenging!

Tonya Ricucci said...

that is a fab way to make a Q!