Saturday, July 2, 2011

Why and Why?

Why am I making another alphabet sampler, when I've already made three quilts with every letter in the alphabet in them? Three years ago I made a little sampler quilt for a swap. I was quite proud of it, but my partner barely acknowledged it. I always liked it, and wished I had made one for myself, so now's my chance.

The letters in this quilt finish out at about 3-1/2" tall, and are all blues, greens and blue-greens. The fabrics have different patterns, in a variety of scales (some little, some medium and some big prints). The quilt has a nice liveliness to it. Looking at this, I am wondering if I should vary my reds a bit, and include some red-oranges, oranges and red-violets. I'll have to see how it goes.


Why should you get the book? You should have a copy of Tonya's book to help you with making letters. I'm not going to get into the details of how to do every single letter, because that would be disrespectful to Tonya, and in violation of the copyright. Tonya's got a lot of great information in the book. I use it a lot. It will be helpful to have another viewpoint when you are working.

I bought two copies of the book. One to live like a prized possession in my bookcase; the other is my "studio" copy. I brought it to Staples and had it spiral bound for only a couple of dollars. Now it lies nice and flat on my worktable.


Choose your fabrics, and do tell me if you'll be playing along. I'll add links to my sidebar so we can all see how the others are doing!

6 comments:

Sybil said...

I love Tonya's book. I am putting a quote on the back of a quilt I made using her methods.

Tonya Ricucci said...

love the sampler!!!! that first one was gorgeous too, so I'm glad you're getting one for yourself!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I'm in - you know my link!

(Not using reds, though)

Sharon said...

Oh you temptress!! I'm not listening . . . I have a challenge quilt that HAS to be done in 2 weeks! I'm not listening . . .

Judy in Michigan said...

Me, me, me!!! I'm in!!!

Manda said...

I have the book, and use it often. I'm going to have it spiral bound! Great idea.

Could you add me to your sidebar:

mandamadequilts.blogspot.com