Sunday, July 3, 2011

Red Letter

Here's a sneak peek of a couple of letters I am considering for the "Red Letter" quilt. As usual, I will probably change my mind before I consider the design "finished." I'll work it all out before I tell you what to do, so don't fret. If you've decided to play along, and are gathering your fabrics, I have a couple of things to tell you.

1. One fabric per letter. (Much less confusing.)

2. One letter per day, and only on weekdays, starting Tuesday July 5th. That gives me the weekends to get caught up preparing the posts explaining everything.

3. I'm working with Red. If you want to work with Blue, or Purple, or Green, or Pink, go for it.

4. I'm making a smallish wall quilt. If you want to make a bigger quilt, it's fine by me.

5. I'd LOVE to see your progress on your blogs.

6. I'll set up a Picasa web album so we can all upload pictures as we go, and we can see each other's progress in one central location. I have to figure out how to do that.

7. It helps to select your fabrics ahead of time, and lay them out. In the photo below, the fabric in the top left is the A, the next is B, then C, D and E. The second row is F - G - H - I - J. The third row is K - L ---- wait a minute! That L is BLUE! That's the letter in my quilt I want to POP. See.. here is the finished flimsy on the little alphabet sampler I showed in yesterday's post. Why did I choose the L? Because that was the first letter of the name of the lady that received it.
You'll make the first letter of YOUR NAME in your POP color! SO.. Julie and Judy will make J in a contrasting color, Kim will do it with the K, Yvonne with the Y... and so on.

Ladies! Gather your fabrics!

3 comments:

Judy in Michigan said...

Can't wait to start. I'll pull fabrics today. So fun to see that Judy is ME!! I'll post some of my word quilts (all 5) for you to critique. I love the process but I sure do move from project to project - all in the same day!! Woe is me.

Monty Q. Kat said...

And when it's done you can call it your 'Red Letter Day'. ;)

Tonya Ricucci said...

wheee, these are going to be great quilts!