Friday, July 1, 2011

Red: 25 Plus 1

OK! Everybody who wants to play along... Here's what you need:

25 Reds. You don't need a lot; fat quarters are more than enough, and you can certainly use bits from your scrap bins. For most blocks, a piece 4" x 20" should be plenty.

You'll also need a background. You can use different WOWs, or a light solid, like a cream, off white or any shade of white. I'm using this batik. As you know I've made several quilts with WOWs as background. I just want to do something different. You'll probably need a couple of yards. I dunno, I just wing it. Say 3 yards.
Plus 1. You'll need a bit of a color that contrasts against the red and the fabric you are using as the background. This cool greenish blue is a perfect complement to the red-orangey reds I have selected. The goal is to make this contrasting color a "syncopation," or a "greedy little songbird."
This yellow green would work. Green is the complement of Red. Green is made of blue and yellow - everything Red isn't. If you want to make a color look intense, put its complementary color nearby.
This warm yellow looks good, but you want to make sure it doesn't disappear against the background fabric you have chosen.This lovely orange would be good too, but since as a color it is close to the red, it isn't as much of a wake-up call as the green or the blue.
This pink is okay, but it doesn't POP. I want POP! You want POP too, (you'll see why later), so search your stash.This lovely blue batik would also be perfect. I can't decide, but it's okay. I have to make 11 blocks before I decide.
NOW THEN... If you don't like RED, choose another color; you won't break my heart. Use 25 blues, or 25 greens, or 25 purples. But you will need that complementary color (that POP). If you need help, let me know, I'll be happy to help.

I'll make a block a day, and I'll show you how. The finished quilt won't be very big - no more than 36" square, and the blocks won't take long to make.

TOOLS: You'll need a rotary cutter, a cutting mat, and a nifty plastic cutting ruler. One about 4" wide by 12" long should be fine. Use what you have. Of course you'll need a sewing machine, and an iron, thread, etc., but you knew that already.

One more thing:
You'll need Tonya's book. (C'mon, 26? You gonna tell me you didn't see that coming?)***


So what are we going to make?

A free-pieced quilted wall hanging with 25 reds and one other color, between 24" and 36" square!


;-}

7 comments:

Susanne (flicKwerk) said...

That sounds like lots of fun! Im going to search my stash for the fabric. And if it's okay, I'll put a link on my blog.
Love your blog, love your Quilts!

Tonya Ricucci said...

wheee!!!!!

Quilting4U said...

Looks like another dynamic quilt coming up! You make such divine quilts! I love your work, you inspire me!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Dang it - you got me!

A letter a day keeps the ______ away ... too freakin' cool!

Yvonne said...

I wanna play too!

Clare said...

Hi Lynne,

I'm not playing along, but can I mention this on the Liberated Quilters group? Some members may not read your blog.

Darling Millie said...

Clare, of course, and thanks!