Tuesday, July 26, 2011

the Nth Degree

This N is 16" tall, WAY too big for the Red Letter quilt, but it's a good example of how to choose fabrics for a multi-fabric letter based on more than just color. The prints all have circular and rounded elements, so they "relate" to each other. You see their similarities more than their differences at first, then you look closer. The yellow fabric in the dot of the exclamation mark is swirly too!Every piece of art needs a way to draw the viewer in, to keep the viewer's attention. Things that are too much the same, or too "matchy-matchy" don't always do that. I like to keep my viewers guessing. I want them to look closer, to find the surprises I've hidden.
For the red N, I've cut five strips, red: 2-1/2", 2-1/4", 1-1/2" x 7" long; and two background strips, 2-1/2" and 1-1/4" by 7" long.
Slice the wide background fabric on an angle, and insert the skinny red piece between them. Then add the wider strips on either side. The extra background piece is the spacer.
If I make strips long (or tall), I can make the letter and have enough "play" to make the letter the height I want.
Here are some N's.
You can vary the N by making the uprights thick or thin, or a combination of both, and you can make the diagonal skinny or fat, or at a steep or shallow angle. Lay extra strips of your background fabric over your letter to visualize what it might look like before you sew components together. Move them around until you find an arrangement that suits you.
Clare,YES! Like Julie, I do refer to Tonya's book often.

Julie, YES! Making letters small is a lot trickier than making them larger.

Judy, YES! Black and white on green makes a fun quilt! Check out my Daft Zebras quilt.

4 comments:

Jean said...

Going to work on N now!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I can already tell that my letters are going to "morph" as I progress through the alphabet (lower case letters) and that is okay ... I get more adventuresome as I work and this time I'm NOT going back and re-do the early ones. I want the progression to be visible.

LOVE the N from your FUN ...

Clare said...

I got the book out again yesterday and am in the process of reteaching myself. Reading your daily posts made me realise that over the years I've been taking a lot of short cuts and not actually looking at the letters as I make them. Hence that i.

My fav N of all time has got to be the Black Rules one.

Silvia said...

Hi Millie,
I loved the letters.