Tuesday, July 19, 2011

J is for Jewel (and Julie, and Jean)


When you've got great fabric like this, it's a shame not to use it to its maximum potential. Unfortunately, all I had of this fabric is cut in 2-1/2" WOF strips. So I took a closer look to find elements that would really show off the letter "J"

This little floral element I've sewn to the background will make the part of the "J" that comes back up. Here I'm auditioning elements in the fabric that will connect to the little floral flourish and make the curved part of the "J."
Once I had that settled, I needed a large straight-ish part for the long vertical part of the "J". I didn't have a piece of fabric big enough, so I decided to sew two sections together. Remember the squares you see on my cutting mat are 1" apart.Here are the two pieces sewn together. If you do this, don't forget to allow extra space for the seam allowance on all sides.
Here it is sewn the the bottom part of the "J."
It's fine as it is, but I wanted the added flourish of a strip across the top. I have chosen a bit of fabric that reminds me of a big feather swooping across. One thing to remember though, is if you want to add a horizontal bar across the top, you need to add some fabric to the right side of the "J" first.

Remember, though, I am limited by the width of the fabric I have available to me. I would have liked more fabric along the right edge, but it wasn't worth adding a piece just to get an additional 1/4". It would have made the letter too bulky with too many seams.
Here's another "J" that uses fussy cuts.
Jean has made an outstanding, jaunty orange striped J. You can see it in the Red Letter Picasa album, here.

4 comments:

Jean said...

Love the way you used your print to full advantage on the J.

Tonya Ricucci said...

whee - those Js sing!

Quiltdivajulie said...

You know ... I just might START this project with my turquoise J (instead of beginning at the beginning with A).

Another great post!!!

Manda said...

I've never figured out how to fussy cut letters! Awesomeness.