Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A is for Alphabet

Hello, and welcome to the first Red Letter Day Letter-Along! Today we start with A.Here's the fabric I have chosen to kick things off.
An uppercase A is a triangle with a slice through the middle (the crossbar) and a leg on each side.Here are a few examples: These two are from Nine x Nine.This green one has two legs that are the same width.This purple one has one thick leg, and one thin one, and so does this A from Letters From Home, except the thicknesses are reversed, and the crossbar is at an angle.

For our A, we make the crossbar first:Here, a red strip about 1-1/4" wide has been sewn to two background strips, about 2-1/2" wide each.After that's done, you have to give the letter A its shape - a triangle. Here I have lined up the base of the A with the 60 degree line on my cutting ruler.
I've trimmed the edge, and will sew another red strip to it, then I'll trim the other side, again at a 60 degree angle.For this particular A, I want a really fat leg. I've lined up a strip, but as you can see, I have to be sure to allow enough red fabric to give the A a point.To add background to the A, I prefer to cut a piece of background so it is on the straight of the grain. This way, no edges are on the bias in the finished block. I set my letter on the background, and use the outer edge of the A as a guide to cut the background piece. I sew it down, and do the same for the other side. Be sure to allow plenty of room above the top of the letter, or you'll lose the point at the top.Here is a much less fussy A, (no really thin pieces, no 60-degree angles, no pointy top) but it's still a good-looker. Your A should be about 4" tall. Remember we'll lose 1/4" across the top, and another 1/4" on the bottom to seam allowances when we sew the letters together.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hmmmm... you're right about our process being different. Gotta try this approach with one of my purples.

Jean said...

I have my blue A finished! It is bigger than 4" but I decided I should wait to trim down any more until I start putting the letters together. Thanks for a great start!