Friday, November 5, 2010

Binding & Hanging

When I was finishing up the Fox this past summer, Helen suggested I use an orange-y batik for the binding. This week I have been making binding, and the hanging sleeve. Helen, honey, you were right on with this color for the binding. I love it!

I am always very particular about the backing fabric for my quilts. I never just use whatever I have hanging about. I feel the same way about the fabric I use for the hanging sleeves. Since I make art quilts and not bed quilts, I always need a sleeve. I was debating what to use for the back of the Quick Brown Fox, and then my friend Julie solved my problem. She uses the leftover fabric from the backing, since Chris, our longarm quilter asks for an extra 6" all around.

I read that post and thought, "D'oh!"

So my hanging sleeve will be the same fabric as the backing. I've made it, and attached the top edge to the quilt. Now I will enjoy handsewing the binding down over the next few evenings as I "watch" tv. Although I don't know what to watch now that Project Runway is over for the season.

3 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Yup - the right backing makes ALL the difference . . . and choosing the binding is a BIG deal for me, too.

Happy that an idea from TN helped you out there in NH :-)

Gotta love the bloggy world!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Yup - the right backing makes ALL the difference . . . and choosing the binding is a BIG deal for me, too.

Happy that an idea from TN helped you out there in NH :-)

Gotta love the bloggy world!

Quiltdivajulie said...

OOPS - Blogger double-dipped!