Thursday, February 4, 2010

Got Fox!

OK, the fox I started sewing over the weekend DOES look like a reindeer. LabMom, I agree with you. I didn't think it looked like a real fox either.

Oh, to be cursed (blessed?) with an idea that won't let go.

Yes, Ma, the quilt doesn't NEED a fox.... but Deborah is right; it would look SO AWESOME with one.

Angie, this is an art quilt, and would go on a wall. I can't see the point in putting a fox on the back where nobody would see it.

Tonya, you and Gwen Marston have taught me to GO FOR IT. So I'm going.

My problem was that I was trying to free-piece a fox without having a concrete idea of what I was doing. Driving home from work last night I thought, "Lynne, you dope! You're an artist. Draw the damn thing out first!"So I had to do the usual research. I found this picture of a jumping fox. The picture is blurry, as the fox is actually jumping, and the light is behind him, so it is all in shadow, so no color hints there, but the pose is perfect. I'm happy with this, and my drawing is the right size for the quilt.

Even though I have this really nice drawing, I will free-piece the fox, so he's bound to look a little funky by the time I am through.

Of course, next I have to find a lazy dog. I might already have found one.

As Oscar Wilde is reputed to have said, "Oh, the anxiety. I only hope it lasts forever."






OH! Did you know the phrase "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" is an example of a pangram and has been around at least 100 years?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Your drawing of the fox is just perfect for this quilt. It will definitely add the dimension that the quilt is calling for. Can't wait to see it all pieced!

Clare said...

Knowing you, Mr Fox is going to be awesome.

I can remember having to type the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog over and over again at secretarial college.

Mr. Karate said...

ooooh but is it a quick brown fox?

Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee said...

We like your fox picture. In our house it is "the quick brown cat jumps over the lazy dog." It's fun and now Kirby has started doing it too. Even though he is not brown.

Tiki

Quiltdivajulie said...

I know that feeling well . . . the idea that demands to be brought to fruition . . . a wise friend told me 'contemplate then wait' and the 'answer' will come to you.

LOVE the plan for the fox!

Enjoy the journey...

LabMom said...

I like your new fox SO MUCH MORE! It really does (at least the sketch) look like a fox! :)

A quick brown one jumping.. even better!

pwl said...

Yay! I'm glad you've got fox! I was feeling guilty about having suggested it in the first place.

Deborah said...

What is the longest word that can be made using only the top row of letters on a keyboard?

Tonya Ricucci said...

pangram... new word to me, I'll have to go check it out. see what other pangrams there are. the fox sketch is great - glad you're going for it! sweet puppy you're picking as inspiration.

Tonya Ricucci said...

pangram... new word to me, I'll have to go check it out. see what other pangrams there are. the fox sketch is great - glad you're going for it! sweet puppy you're picking as inspiration.

Tonya Ricucci said...

pangram... new word to me, I'll have to go check it out. see what other pangrams there are. the fox sketch is great - glad you're going for it! sweet puppy you're picking as inspiration.

Tonya Ricucci said...

sorry about all the dupes. stupid computer I thought it wasn't working. my new favorite pangram:

How quickly daft jumping zebras vex.