Saturday, December 20, 2008

Snowbound Sunshine


When making the square in square blocks for the slashed squares, I try to make two sets of blocks - half with "busy" inner squares and more calm outer squares, and half the other way around, with "calm" inner squares and bolder patterns on the outer squares. So the first step is matching up pairs of fabrics. Here are the first pairs. I worked on these yesterday while it snowed.

In this quilt, I am not interested in creating strong pattern, so the yellows are all fairly similar in hue and value. There are contrasts, the size of the birds and the colors in the Kaffe Fassett fans, and the large gold Japanese mums, but overall I am more interested in having a quilt that "reads" as one tone throughout, with any color "dancing" across the surface. Since the quilt is for my son, I also don't want it too girly or "pretty."

You can click the photo to enlarge.

4 comments:

Mel said...

I LOVE the birds!! Yellow is a great color!

Anonymous said...

It's Yellow it already IS pretty :)

Joyce said...

I just love all the yellows. I think you have inspired me to start collecting yellows.

Gina said...

I'm doing a Slashed squares aswell. I noted the directions when I was going through your blog for the Doll quilt Swap. I'm using a charm pack for my squares.

Love and hugs Gina xxx